Friday, March 28, 2008

Happy b-day Uncle Sock

In 1969 I was the birthday present to my big brother (Uncle Sock to my kids). I’m sure he was thrilled. Well maybe at first he truly was, but then when I took up most of the time and focus from my parents, he probably wished I was sent back to the hospital.

Sock is 5 years older than me. As a gift to his newborn sister, he gave up his blankie which was mysteriously attached to his thumb. The story goes that whenever he touched the blanket, even just for a moment when stepping on it as it lay on the ground, he would automatically put his thumb in his mouth. When his feet were finished trespassing on the blankie, his thumb would dislodge from his mouth. So, his “gift” to his little sis was HUGE for him and a huge RELIEF for my parents. That’s not to say that the other 5 years of sucking didn’t take a toll. Orthodontists salivated when looking at his overbite. I could have had a pony if it weren’t for both of my brothers’ teeth.

My brother is one of the smartest men I’ve ever met. He is humble in his intellect, but it has served him and his family well. He is a devoted husband and loving father. He is also a dedicated soccer player and can outplay any young whippersnapper who swaggers on the field. Another great feature of "Sock" is that he loves to body surf at the beach. Huge water filled smiles and sand rashes abound during our annual beachweek. I am so glad that he didn’t send me back to the hospital so that I can still have him in my life. I love you man!

No comments: