Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A New Dance

We are on our 2nd (or 3rd if you count the day we lost in mid-air) day of our trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. It is like no other trip I've taken and I've actually been to some odd places before. The main thing that is stunning is the number of mopeds and the people on them (and other house supplies and building materials). The strangest was roofing supplies that were way to big for the bike. I am learning a new way to operate with traffic...you see, you just have to step off the sidewalk and assume that people will stop for you. The key is to not make eye contact, walk slowly but determined and just keep a 'soft eye' out for cars that are too close. Luckily they use their horns too to make sure you know what to watch out for. This is what I'm calling a dance. Oddly, I haven't ever felt "unsafe" and I think it's because the drivers are so adept at this...they start riding on them as infants (I've seen a lot in the past two days).

My top ten things to remember so far are:
  1. Looooooooooong journey to get here (and little girl getting sick next to us on our short flight from Taiwan-Vietnam)
  2. Almost 48 hours of no sleep (maybe I racked up an hour or two on our flights in the form of catnaps)
  3. Crazy traffic and driving
  4. Amazing people watching (many many people)
  5. Interesting items for sale at an outdoor food market (snakes, chicken feet and other unknown things)
  6. Monsoon rain
  7. Tuck tuck bike ride because we got lost
  8. Morning exercises by most all of Vietnam's inhabitants at 6am (we saw an outdoor men's gym with weights and benches right on the side of the street)
  9. Women selling their handmade meals right in the street (my husband will likely try one while here...notice I didn't say "I" would)
  10. Enjoying this type of travel with my man

No comments: