Sunday, August 1, 2010

Templed Out


Cambodia is cool (but Hot at the same time). I am reminded of Thailand and Malaysia more than in Vietnam. I am surprised by this but really really love this place. It has great people watching, amazing temples, lovely attitudes and just all around interesting perspective. The West has definitely infiltrated here. In the market area there is "pub street", there was a Mexican Restaurant and a Molly Malone's Irish Pub. They have different vibes than in their "native" habitat, but to find that type of place here is both comforting and disappointing. To add to the disappointment, I was lame last night and had a ham sandwich and Belgian Fries instead of the Khmer dish (local fare) that my husband enjoyed. I was needing a little comfort food as I'm not a huge fan of the Asian cuisine.


The main reason for our journey here are the amazing and abundant and huge temples. They delivered an awe inspiring experience. You cannot find that kind of scale and craftsmanship in this era. We covered some ground during our Temple hopping and I'm reminded of a trip to England with my family in the early '80s where my parents dragged us into EVERY SINGLE cathedral in the country. After awhile you get that if you've seen one you've seen them all. We stopped at 5 Temples and am taking the risk that we've missed a stunning view...I think I'll be ok.


My 10 favorite things in Cambodia:


  1. Our Tuk Tuk driver Sukka

  2. Taking TONS of people pictures (kids especially)

  3. Temples, temples, temples

  4. Getting used to the "sellers" that abound

  5. People watching

  6. Boat ride to the floating village

  7. Landscapes with animals, rice paddy fields, palm trees, huts etc

  8. Comfort food and good night sleeps in our high end hotel

  9. Relaxing by the refreshing pool

  10. Still speaking with my husband, we travel well together.

No comments: