Monday, February 8, 2010

Why is it?

Why is it that when I HAVE TO BE HOME I want to be somewhere else, but when I am home on a normal day, somehow I end up wasting the day anyway? The net result is the same, BEING HOME...but the thoughts about it are what are different.

Right now I am smack in the middle of the 4 hour window of when the 'fix it' person is supposed to be here and I keep thinking about what I could be doing right now...grocery shopping, returning books to the library, and so on and so forth. If I weren't chained to my house, I'd probably be doing the very same thing I am now BUT I'd be thinking, "boy I SHOULD get out and go to the grocery right now, but maybe I'll check my email one more time, or check on facebook, or see if maybe something in the food cupboard needs to be eaten by me right this very minute".

So here is my opportunity to do some self coaching because neither 'thought sequence' is a kind one and so...why not look for a better feeling thought and see what actions I would take. This process is taught by Brooke Castillo in her book Self Coaching 101.

Circumstance: At home waiting for repair person
Thoughts: I could be doing errands outside the house right now
Feelings: stuck, restless
Actions: obsessive internet activity (email, websites etc) and kitchen visits
Results: getting nothing done, beating myself up and wanting to eat when I'm not really hungry!

INSERT BETTER FEELING THOUGHT

Circumstance: Same as above
Thought (better feeling): Since I am staying home, what can I do that will feel good to me?
Feeling: empowered, excited, intrigued by what my answer might be
Actions: Make a list of things that might feel good to me
Result: My list is surprisingly "housework" focused on making beds and picking up clothes BUT I know the feeling of accomplishment and 'calm' that outweighs the physical effort for me.

I am now inspired to get "something done" and it is on my terms (within the umbrella of being "stuck at home").

Now I am off before some other thought creeps in!

No comments: