Sunday, April 27, 2008

Fooling myself rich

I saw a motivational speaker named James Ray (he was featured in the Secret). He talked about how he was once told to walk around with hundred dollar bill in his pocket at all times and it would help you to "feel" richer. So, I decided, what the heck, what harm could it do?

Since that time, I've had a hundred dollar bill in MY wallet. I'm not sure it is having the effect that it is meant to. The feelings I get when I carry the $100 are; I hope I don't lose my wallet; or, boy I wish I had smaller bills; or, I find that I am explaining to the store clerks that I in fact am not 'super rich' and only have a $100 because I'm trying to fool myself that I am. It also gets tricky when you want to give lunch money, allowance or make a small donation to the kids...but I'm working on a solution. LIKE, carrying more than just a $100 bill. Recently, my dreams were even effected; my car was robbed and everything was stolen in my wallet and my first thought (in my dream) was, darn, they took my $100 bill.

The positives are that I actually spend less money because if, say at the gas station, I go in to buy a "treat" and they only take cash or I must spend more than $10 to use a credit card, I end up passing on the treat. I save money and calories at the same time. Also, a kind stranger gave me 2 free tickets for the bus because my smallest bill was a hundred (not that I told her that).

Now that I've shared this little secret, those of you who are local...better not be trying to dip into my wealthy wallet...ya hear!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So maybe the idea is to put the $100 in there and ignore it. You still get the $20 out of the ATM for general use every couple of days. The C-note is truly emergency / feel rich money.
Chris
www.ChrisMoreau.com