Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The wheels go round and round

I took the bus yesterday! This was a mini goal I had this week. I'm trying to find creative ways to keep me moving (and oh by the way, save the planet). I had a general idea of the bus routes but things weren't all that smooth. Firstly, I had forgotten any small change (I only had a $100 bill which I'll explain in another post). I just happened to ask the right person where a cash machine was because she gave me 2 free bus passes (note to self, I need to "pay it forward"). I got the 'short bus' which had my destination on it, well, lets say it wasn't the express bus. So I took a scenic route which I really did appreciate because; I saw the lake that looked like glass with crew boats on it; I found a short cut I hadn't known about; and I got to people watch (for a long time). I made it in good time and really didn't mind the ride. Then on the way back, I made a very similar mistake and then some, I got the bus that took me to a different terminal than I needed. No harm done because I had nice passengers help me to find another bus to back-track my way home. Through all of this, I considered it an adventure, and I happened to have the time to do it. I can see doing it again if the time permits.

A few observations:

1) a lot more people take the bus than I had expected.

2) even though a lot of people take the bus, there are still too many cars on the road (including mine). I do think the tide is shifting a little, but not in a huge way.

3) I love public transportation from my days in London and San Francisco, but its a little different and more complicated when you're out in the burbs.

4) there are many people who know A LOT about which bus takes you where....I mean A LOT. One woman told me all she knew (a little like Rain Man).

5) I'm glad I carried my hand sanitizer.

1 comment:

Hear Me Roar! said...

Number 5 cracked me UP!