Thursday, April 10, 2008

Window into the soul

About 5 years ago I had a crazy thing happen. I got the courage and confidence to start a small black and white photography business. I had the good fortune of meeting a friend of a friend who was willing to share all of her business and creative ideas with me. I also had help from a now dear friend Mo. She helped design my website and we shared business prospects. This generous act of sharing from these two women has inspired me to always give back to others (mainly other women). We need to support each other and build up confidence in "our own kind". Her information was such a catalyst for me getting the business going. I love working with clients and using my camera as a "window into the soul". When in the flow of my sessions, I can see/imagine what the image will look like in black and white which was so cool to me (almost magical).

Now that I've gone digital it is a bit tricky due to the fact that the images start as color and then I turn them black and white. The fact that the images are now able to be both, it loses its artistic quality to me somehow. I cannot seem to get the nerve up to only provide the black and white versions. It almost feels wasteful to discard the color (eventhough they aren't as special to me).

I now work a little less consistantly than in the beginning, but still dabble with clients and love the results. I feel that I'm at a plateau with my work and am looking for inspiration to either 'take it to the next level' or continue this outlet as is. I'm counting on time and circumstance to give me the answers. I'm putting it out to the univers to give me a sign. The picture attached is of my very first little angel client. I will forever treasure this picture. Peace out.

2 comments:

Hear Me Roar! said...

You know I'm one of the people out there selfishly hoping you get back into the photography just because I think you have such an amazing gift for it. I still think there MUST be a way for you to take what you love from it and discard all the rest, and make the good part fruitful. peace out... LOL

Heather Houston said...

Did you know that if you shoot your images in raw, you can set it up to take the pics in b/w, but when they load on the computer, they will still all be in color. It is nice when you chimp and see the pics you are taking in b/w...but they are really still in color!!!!