Saturday, July 11, 2009

I love a parade....

NOT!

I don't know why but I just don't like parades. The heat, the people, the whiny kids, the just "ok" acts are some of the reasons. Sometimes I wonder if I had some sort of 'bad parade experience' when I was a kid and have blocked it. So today in our hometown, a parade and festival happened and I agreed to participate (while all the while begrudging in my head). So...what happened next I believe was a result of my negativity...I brought it on myself. Two sets of families set out on our bikes to head to and be in the parade. We have guests so we played musical bikes and made it work. My husband decided that he had to 'tune' one of the bikes before we left (please note that my husband isn't 'a bike tuner' by trade). I notice that my niece (on the recently tuned bike) was going extremely slow (and she is an athlete). I traded bikes with her to find that somehow the tuning went awry and the bike would only accelerate as much as one physical turn of the pedals would go (hard to explain because I'm not a mechanical engineer). I pedaled on making very slow progress, sweating, and missing the parade (everyone else sped happily along and were in the parade).

I also kind of don't like festivals because its hot, the people, whiny kids, junk handed out, more whining about the heat and the 'second mortgage' you have to put on your house to afford everything. I soldiered on just the same but have resolved that maybe next year...I'll pass.

No comments: