Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'm just saying

OK...this has come to my attention in a few different situations where the phrase "I'm just saying" has become a popular "catch all". I'm seeing it among my 9 year old kid's group (including her) and then I saw it in a youtube "vlog" and I am of the mind that the phrase "ain't doin' it for me". I don't know what it is about the phrase that is bugging me but I think it feels lazy. This might be like the "ya know?" of my generation. Here is what I think when someone says "I'm just saying"...Either: You don't need to tell me what you just said, I heard you when you SAID IT. OR Well then "just say it" already!

What are the other modern day slang that bugs you? I'm just ASKING.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Verbal crutches: I hate "Um" when a person is thinking as they speak. Silence is much preferable. You don't have to fill every natural pause in the flow of a conversation or a presentation with something. Certainly not with "Um."

Chris
www.ChrisMoreau.com