Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Out of body

Last night my daughter was dancing for me (she loves an audience). At one point she said "watch this momma". As she said this I had a moment of disbelief, or "something" where I was caught off guard and the thoughts went like this...
Am I really YOUR mother?

Who is this human being in front of me who seems so mature, confident, talented, 'in the moment'...How did she get to be my daughter?

It wasn't a "I'm not qualified to be your mother?" or a "I'm not old enough to be your mother"...it was beyond that, it was more esoteric. It made me look at her in awe, in wonder, in excitement, in pride that there is a human being that exists that somehow I am her mother but it is bigger than that...more 'cosmic' or something. I just witnessed my thoughts and emotions and thought it was cool. When I did this, I felt more that she was the teacher and I was the student. In fact at one point she asked me to get up and dance with her...and funny enough I felt like I couldn't dance...and I actually think I can, and I'm willing to 'put myself out there'...I felt oddly clumsy, heavy, and not coordinated.

All I have to say to this is 'fascinating'.

No comments: