Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fast forward this part

Tonight at 10:10pm the kids and I start our journey "back East" for our month-long adventure. Today is going to be a looooong day. The kids have been so excited for this trip and so I'm sure the day will drag for them, AND THEN, we get to take the red eye AND we have to change planes in Detroit at 6am, AND I'm traveling alone with the kids AND I am not the best flier (just call me Nervous Nelly). So it would be so convenient to be Barbara Eden today.

The other day Monkey asked, "Mommy, how does the plane make our eye red and which eye is it?". He has been full of these types of questions. About three weeks ago he asked why Pirates wear a patch on one eye. I really didn't know so I just said that they probably got them poked out in fights. Well, coincidentally (I'm having many coincidences lately), in a book I'm reading for my coaching class, Martha Beck describes why pirates wear patches. It is because in a fight on a ship they are often required to fight outside in the daylight and then move inside the boat and it takes time for eyes to adjust to the dark, so they always have one eye ready for the darkness...who knew?

On a totally different note, whenever I say "back East" it gets me to wondering. Why do people who have never lived on the East coast still call it "back East"...they wouldn't be 'back' if they hadn't even been. Maybe its a throw back from Lewis and Clark? Just curious that's all! Off to pack for a month...thank goodness for washing machines.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We start our adventure tomorrow! Obviously we don't say "back east," but instead, "down south." See you soon and safe travels. love, sarah