Monday, July 28, 2008

My Epitaph

Today I attended a memorial service for our dear friend's mother. I went into it thinking that since it wasn't my mom, I wouldn't be crying...that was a dumb thought. How can you not cry when you see a family coming to terms with loss? This was my first time that I realized that my parents will some day die too, it made it very real to see my friend's sister who is exactly my age, have to stand up to honor her mother. The tears did flow and luckily I was offered a tissue. The oldest son did a wonderful job recapping his mother's life and wove the theme of what the phrase on her tombstone would read "Loving wife and mother" and how she epitomized both of those roles.

This got me to thinking what my own epitaph would read...right now I'm not 100% sure, but I do want to find the word(s) and then attempt to exceed my own expectations. At one point Party Animal might have been the phrase, but I'm not sure that fits anymore. If anyone wants to offer suggestions, I'm open!

No comments: