Monday, August 17, 2009

Letting go

Today I dealt with the topic of "letting go" in my Mastermind Group. We described what letting go meant to each of us. I described it as the space between working to make something happen and the "something" at the other end. I think both are necessary...to have a vision of your desired goal and to do the work preparing for said goal, but then there is that space where each have been sufficiently articulated, translated, propagated, masticated, regurgitated, reiterated...etc (cue INXS) and then you have to "let go" and have faith that what is on the other end is "exactly as it should be" either bigger/better than you thought, totally different but even cooler, not what you thought at all and kinda scary but actually might be a gift in disguise. The letting go is what I think is faith. It is that magical juicy, palpable feeling that you know that something will happen, you don't know what it is, you're a bit scared to turn back the curtain to find out but, but....you can tell that it is what needs to happen (even if it sucks at first blush).

I had to deal with such letting go this year when dealing with issues at my kids' school and just today I have found the answer and it is exciting, scary, worrisome, more manageable than what I was planning etc. The answer to my ask is different than what I'd envisioned but, I couldn't have predicted this outcome and it might just be way better than what I had first worked toward. I have to tell you the space between today and when I put the balls in motion was 6 months and it was a space of doubt, hope, doubt, hand wringing, doubt, barnstorming, hope, doubt...and then the answer. If I could have just 'let go' without out the tornado of emotions perhaps I could have spent that time and energy solving another exciting challenge in my life. I'm not sure if I have the enlightened mind and soul yet to be able to "let go" of the squirrely thoughts and actions between the visioning and the results...but I now have evidence that things work out exactly as they should OR even better. Martha Beck has said, all prayers are answered and if they aren't at first, then something even better is waiting for you. I didn't quote her exactly but that thought gives me chills to think that I can actually give up the 'arguing with reality' and have faith that just around the bend is something even better. What do you wish to 'let go' of?...what are you holding onto? What purpose is the "holding on" serving? What would letting go mean? These are questions I ask of you AND myself.

No comments: