Friday, August 28, 2009

Now what?

As of yesterday, I have stepped down from post as president (of the PTA). We are now attending a very different school than before. This brings me so much relief that I think it will take a while to figure out what that means for me. I NEVER saw myself as the PTA president. I saw myself as someone doing what I felt needed to be done to help keep a school that was struggling (both financially and academically) afloat. I felt compelled to be of support in whatever way I could. I believe with my background in Change Management I was able to see the big picture and help to move the school where it needed to go...but I really never had 'designs' to be the president. I guess its what I felt I HAD to do.

Now, we will be attending a school that looks like it has a lot of "presidential" candidates and perhaps has an easy time filling its seats on the PTA board. It is possible that I could be a "good volunteer" and that is it. Now...how do I keep that perspective and not get tied up in PTA'ness again? I need to keep my head low and sit on my hands....that is what I need to do. Somehow, once I wrote that I could feel the 'doubt' in me...that I'll be able to do that. I have a "partner in crime" going to the same school so we'll have to set up some "checks and balances" for ourselves to keep us appropriately dedicated but not overbooked. Each of us are thinking about branching out to doing more career-enhancing activities so that will help us focused on our goals. What is the point of this blog?...I think it is some self talk...it is for me to acknowledge my relief of the "weight" I was carrying at the other school and now it is a time to rewrite my goals as a parent of elementary-age kids. It feels really good...I like it....I hope it lasts...please keep me honest on this goal of "less is more".

No comments: