Saturday, May 9, 2009

Constant Battle

This morning I woke up and did my normal Saturday morning flurry around the house to see if I can put some order to it. I am a perfectionist in that if I see a mess I feel it needs to be picked up to the "nth" degree, and then I find another and another and so on and so forth. Then the laundry gets mixed into the flurry trying to catch up to be 'ahead' for next week. At the end of my flurry, I find that I am in fact NOT caught up on the laundry, and the house is in somewhat of an order (but clean isn't achieved) AND somehow my kids have come behind me like little gnomes and filled the clean spots, with more CRAP!!!! It is insane and I am incredibly overwhelmed on a daily basis with this. I have been trying to coach myself (and have had help) on how to figure out the best way to NOT get so overwhelmed. Some days are better than others. It is now 12pm and I am going to stop trying for now and maybe pick up where I left off later this evening....but then there is tomorrow.

On a related note...this morning I woke up to signs that my husband had done his own version of a pick up. He will clear counters, and any surface that has an inappropriate pile (for his liking). That clean up also includes throwing away things that I might have been keeping, throwing away things that are actually recyclable, and moving MY laundry pile from one spot that is appropriate FOR ME to another spot which is appropriate FOR HIM...there is more that I can rattle on about, but you get the picture. We clean up differently and I get a little 'miffed' that he decides what is appropriate FOR HIM (despite what I've either asked him NOT to do or that I had clearly made a neat pile FOR ME). This is a 13+ year battle and it still seems to rage on. I have been reminded by my mother-in-law that at least he does something, and while I appreciate that, it isn't actually the point. But I digress....and I love my husband dearly, in spite of this character flaw....OH and did I tell you?...I'M PERFECT!!!

No comments: