Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Focus - PLEASE

I have one child who gets her homework done almost too fast for my liking and the other takes FOR-EVER. He gets distracted by 'shiny objects' all along the way. Even when I 'check in' every 15 minutes I find that he still is struggling with his concentration. I do not believe it is a learning disability, I believe it is an attention issue and he is starting to suffer the consequences...like being left behind as his sister goes out to play, not being able to watch America's Funniest Home Videos etc. I'm starting to be more committed to making him get it done, but also letting him see that his choices to 'not buckle down' will create pain later.

We have this same issue in the morning when I send him to get his socks and shoes. I will tell him to do it and 'assume' it is getting done, but then 20 minutes later I'll find him pulling faces in the mirror in his room not even close to getting his socks OR shoes. It actually makes me laugh but I'm starting to be 'bad cop' more often now.

I'm thinking this is either the 'first born/second born syndrome' or a 'girl/boy difference' or just a plain ole' personality difference between my two children. I'm tired though of sounding like a broken ....what is it called now?...CD, Itune...I'm showing my age.

2 comments:

Joy said...

That sounds like me and my brother and my husband's nephew and niece -- so two more data points for first born / second born. No advice on what to do about it -- it drove me crazy when I took niece on trips and she couldn't get herself dressed to go out for really fun days!

Chris said...

I believe he is suffering from a condition known in the medical community as "Little Boy." We suffer from it at our house, too.
Chris
www.ChrisMoreau.com