Monday, May 25, 2009

Once in my life

Today I experienced probably a once in a lifetime thing. It wasn't super grand and it wasn't something that will gain me some recognition but it was a moment of a wow and the thought that my kids were experiencing it too really makes me think of the memory that is placed in their minds (or not). My mother-in-law has a grade-school friend who lives in the area. We went to lunch and then she invited us back to her place to see their house and have her play on her grand piano as she is a concert pianist. In a VERY small room she has an upright, a grand and an organ where she practices and teaches lessons. You can see that they live a simple life and that she loves her craft (she has a library full of sheet music that was actually overwhelming to think that she could play them all). It was really cool, my daughter got to see "the real thing" and my son LOVED the organ. It wasn't an earth shattering experience, but it was one of those that 'goes in the books'. I love those moments even better than the earthshattering...earthshattering is overrated in my book.

1 comment:

elderyogini said...

Dear Laura,
Having your children - as well as yourself- sit in the presence of an accomplished musician and listen is, as you say, a truly memorable occasion.

You remind me of a time when my eldest, who is now 28, was about 10, and considering starting cello lessons. I brought him over to a friend who played in a local orchestra and she "introduced" him to the instrument by playing a piece or two. At some point I looked over at Natey and saw tears streaming down his little boy cheeks. How he clapped in appreciation at the end of the song!

He only ended up taking cello lessons for a short time, but he developed a deep love for music that continues to enrich his life.

Those sensorial experiences are terribly important for children and adults as we all grow further and further "disembodied" from the physical world of sight, sound , taste, and touch.

Today Nate is an applied physicist and I am grateful to have been able to provide him with - and share with him as a youngster - the beauty and truth as Keats so aptly noted, inherent in the natural and creative world.

Thanks for reminding me of such a touching moment. Blessings to you and your family.

PS...I found you through the comfort cafe :-)