Monday, October 19, 2009

The list grows


I am slowly but surely building a list of things I DO NOT like (but tolerate in small doses)...and they all are "fun" for kids. The list so far is:


  1. Clowns

  2. Festivals

  3. Parades

  4. Aquariums

  5. Zoos

  6. Corn Mazes

Yesterday I took my kids to the punkn' patch. We had been there last year and I knew the kids would want to do the Maze AGAIN. I was hoping to sit it out...but then I had visions of bad men lurking behind the stalks and decided I needed to go...but I wasn't going to have fun. I plunked down my $21 dollars and we headed in. In this maze they have a punch card where you have to find 8 different places within the maze and punch your card. Last year we left before finding them all...this year we had hopes for finding more...but we didn't. I now KNOW that next year I am NOT going in. Here are my thoughts from yesterday's "adventure".



  1. $21 - OUCH

  2. Mud - YUCK

  3. Crows - CREEPY

  4. A murder of crows taking flight out of the corn - I WANT OUT OF HERE

  5. Getting lost in the maze - VISIONS OF THE SHINING

  6. Kids asking to quit - HEAVEN TO MY EARS

  7. Getting lost finding our way out - I WANT OUT NOW!!!

  8. Getting out of the maze alive - FREEDOM...and then...NEVER AGAIN!

I am curious about my 'negative' feelings about all of these quintessential things of childhood. I swear I had a happy childhood (minus the torture from my brothers, the multiple moves, losing a dog, getting lost in a Blizzard, peeing my pants in 3rd grade, Sister Elizabeth, bullies...and so forth). I feel like a Scrooge...but deep down, all of these things stir up 'yuck' versus excitement. What's that all about?

No comments: