Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit

Mrs. Schindler always had fun 'good luck' rituals. One of them was that you should say rabbit, rabbit, rabbit on the first day of the month before you say anything else. I usually "think" that but never actually utter the words from my mouth. Who is this Mrs. Schindler? She was a great "mom" in my life as a teenager. I met her in Iceland in 1984 and she was played a big role in my life for the 2 years because she lived right below us in our military housing and because I dated her son. When I think of Mrs. Schindler I cannot help but smile and think of all of her qualities and then I think, I want to be like that too. Here are some of the words that come to mind when I'm reminded of Mrs. Schindler:


  • Funny
  • Confident
  • Warm
  • Positive
  • "Get to it"
  • Practical
  • Organized
  • Kind
  • Generous
  • Loving
  • Significant
  • Giving
  • Witty
  • Memorable
  • Egg Salad Sandwich
Do you have people from your past that make you think those qualities (OR different ones that you find valuable)? Last night I couldn't sleep and all kinds of people from my past kept popping into my head. I've decided that I am going to list all the names and list my guess as to why they 'stick out' to me and what qualities I admire in them. I'm thinking that right now I'm searching for something in myself...and if I had to name it, it would be confidence and I believe these people are coming to the front of my mind for me to access what it is about them that I would like to emulate (or am already doing and to give myself credit for that). I'm excited to do this exercise. I believe I will find some truths about what I want and to hone in on where I might need to find some of the qualities in me (or find ways to be 'more of').

One other memory of Mrs. Schindler and her family: I lived in Iceland all by myself with my parents (my 2 brothers were in college). Our house was quiet and 'mature'...their house was loud and filled with energy that was actually a little out of my comfort-zone. I loved to go down and access that energy from time-to-time but also liked to go to my space in my quiet home. I am not saying that they were immature in any regard but they did have kids age 5-17 (4 of them) and in my home there was only a 16 year old (and "old people"-my parents). It brings a smile to my face thinking of the energy of the Schindler household. As a side note...our house now is more quiet than not...so I think I'm more comfortable in quiet but know that noise is also good (every so often).

No comments: