Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Grumpy McGrumpster

My daughter has decided for the last two days that to be grumpy in the early morning is cool. The first day I 'got dragged into her mood' and tried my best to make her happy, offering suggestions for another outfit that would fit better, going out of my way to help her get ready....she still got on the bus grumpy. Today was the same thing, but today I decided to "kill her with kindness". I didn't get into her story, I coached and guided her to get ready. She continued to try to be grumpy, but when I said...we're going out for breakfast before school (because I needed to get to a meeting), her mood shifted. Now, I know it was the external incentive that made her happy, but the fact that I stayed out of her story made me happy. Win-win I'd say.

I do despise sending my kids on the bus in a bad mood, it feels as though it is setting the tone for their whole day. I think that is an 'adult perspective' on life, kids are more flexible and can "turn that frown upside down" at the next 'shiny object' that is put in their focus. Either way, I am left grumpy/sad that my last interaction with my munchkin(s) is blah! Perhaps a little more structure in the morning will do the trick, or not!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Mopey McMope, Mayor of Mope-ville.

Chris
www.ChrisMoreau.com