Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow DAZE

Today is another snow day for the kids. No holiday parties, no school sing-a-longs, no teacher gifts, no special gifts made by their little hands...because we missed the last 3 days of the school year when all of that happens. Oh well! Is all the support I can give for my kids. I am very good at giving into 'what is' when there really isn't anything I can do. I cannot go and physically open the school and MAKE THEM HAVE SCHOOL. So, I have to be at peace with it...and I'm trying to guide my children to that same space.

These snow days are filled with doing a lot of nothing, then doing a lot of something like playing in the snow, then some more nothing, then another outdoor snow related some thing. It is a nice way to prepare for the holiday 'circus' (I mean that in a kind way) that is about to come in the next few days. I love seeing family, I love watching the kids reconnect with their cousins, I love seeing friends who live in the area, I love eating yummy food (I don't love how I beat myself up about it), I love the gift giving (and receiving).
I do, however, have to prepare myself for the nuances of dealing with family members and not getting stressed about whether or not I'm offending or being open and accepting etc...and I mean ALL family members, I'm not singling out here. So, in the spirit of trying to be 'clean' emotionally, I am spending some time pre 'coaching' myself to be at peace with 'what is' and not to over think things and not to judge etc (we all do it!). I'm going to see if I can be in a loving space at all times and if I'm not, I will try to work through my thoughts. This is such good practice for me in my coaching and to help others through this. The goal in Martha Beck style is to end all needless suffering...and the suffering comes from thoughts about a person, place or thing not the actual person, place or thing....there are times when there is unavoidable suffering but it should be clean (vs. dirty suffering). An example of clean suffering is being sad and missing someone who has died, dirty is saying I should have done more for that person before he/she died. I would love to spend way more time on this topic, but my family is about to embark on a 'snow hike' down to the lake....so I am off to do a 'snow something'.

No comments: