Monday, November 23, 2009

Between 2 worlds

Hello Tuesday, so sorry I missed you Monday. I tried to finish this post yesterday but it got too heavy and so I went and watched Heros with my husband instead...a wise choice I think! So...here is the post!

Recently in my new quest for living a consciously happy and fulfilling life, I've noticed a phenomenon with my clients, colleagues, and myself. It almost feels as though we operate in 2 separate worlds. We have the world of finding ourselves, working toward our dreams, and such...and then there is real life. I think in the beginning of our quest they seem like different worlds but over time we can begin to merge the two. I am in the process of aligning the two and I'm noticing more and more when I get off track and stuck in the old 'just getting by' real world thoughts. The challenging part is figuring out how to weave the two worlds together...some days life events seem to suck every bit of energy without any real meaning and then there are times that we lead only from our soul and almost feel as if we're in a magical land. My big GUESS is that the thread that weaves through both worlds is our core values. That is where we can chose in every moment to create experiences that are aligned with what we hold near and dear. I am in the process of honing in on what my values are and then finding opportunities to experience life according to these values. I am not talking about the 10 commandment type of values/morals, I am talking about the things that make me, ME. The things that allow me to say..."I had the best time", OR "that was so fulfilling", OR "I want more of 'that'", OR even the opposite "I chose to say no to that, its not worth it to me". So with this thought that our core values are the thread that binds our two worlds, I can see things playing out as such....

Every day, and in every transition in your day, decide what values you intend to experience. So, if you are going to have a meeting with your boss, the intention might be to learn something and to feel confident. If you are spending a day finishing things on your to do list, you intention is to feel accomplished and focused. If you happen to have a 'wrench' in your day where you have to stay home with your kid and you are unable to make progress at work, set the intention to feel love and to relax. If you're able to think through what your "ideal" life experiences are you can hone in on what is important to you and then at every moment, whether it is something your looking forward to, or feels "imposed" on you, you can focus your attention on "what you want to get out of it" and then I sincerely you believe that you can only feel successful. In a way, if you set your intentions you are 'leaning into the experience' versus 'pushing against it' and to me, that is peaceful.

Phew, I don't even know if I've written this clearly, but it has been on my mind and it is something I intend to practice and witness what I experience (positive or not) as a result of this. I HAVE tried this a few times recently and really cannot say a bad thing about it. For example, on Sunday I went to a networking event and prior to attending, I set an intention to: learn something new, connect with people who have varied interests, and leave with one new networking opportunity....check, check and check for that event. Today I started a program with a friend and my intention is to: have fun, have an open mind toward what I learn, and to gain clarity in the gifts I have. By setting these intentions (and I know eventually I'll get a bit more specific with them as I practice more and more), it feels as if I've cast my line way out into the water with the expectation that I WILL experience these "values" AND it I will be able to feel the 'tug on the line' (my soul) when in fact I achieve these expectations. It just feels great...that's all I can say (albeit not very clearly I think...and I'm okay with that).

No comments: