Saturday, November 7, 2009

Making friends with pain

I have somehow "injured" my shoulder. I definitely can use it but at some angles, I get a shocking burst of pain. I attribute it to some push-ups, weight lifting and then perhaps the contortions I made with my body when I went through my tooth torture. So, my range of motion is interesting. Here are ways in which I'm seeing positives in this...

  1. An excuse NOT to workout

  2. Finding interesting ways to wash my hair and take off clothes

  3. Teaching my daughter to clasp a bra so she will be prepared on her own time

  4. Interesting insight into what it might be like to "get old"

  5. Being creative on how to use one hand more often

  6. Laughing at how awkward it is to use only half of an arm

  7. Gaining sympathy from strangers (and a little from my family)

  8. Hugs from my kids to make me feel better

  9. Excuses for why I cannot lift the box on the floor

  10. Hope that this is only temporary!

I'm just saying...there are ways in which you can get sucked into the 'woe is me' kind of approach to things and the other way is to just 'roll with it' and see where it takes you. Perhaps this 'limited range of motion' is a metaphor for how my brain and energy has been working and it is a sign for me to just 'go with the flow' versus trying to push hard on something that hasn't yet been stretched appropriately...ie my confidence! So there!


No comments: