Friday, January 8, 2010

Words to live by


I read this poem to my niece from the book Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. It is my new favorite:

LISTEN TO THE MUSTN'TS
Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES , the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me -
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.

Well gosh darn now I have another new favorite that I just now discovered while looking for links to Silverstein's work...here it is:

I FEEL THAT THIS IS RIGHT FOR ME
There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
"I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What's right for you - Just listen to
the voice that speaks inside.

Hard for me to pick so now they're my two new favorites...but I do know that Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree is my all time favorite book and it so happens that I am going to be reading it to 20 second graders this afternoon (as the mystery reader of the week). I love, love, love, the book and I love, love, love reading to children...what a great way to end my first week of January 2010.

No comments: