Monday, June 23, 2008

Band Aid Olympics 2008


So our summer is now into full swing and the kids are beginning to show signs that they are really having fun because I've had to administer first aid many times these days. Here are the stats:

Nephew 3 band aids
Monkey 2 band aids (one requiring a second application)
Princess 0 band aids

So in looking at these stats, either my daughter is not 'out there' really going for it (doubtful) or she is more sure footed than the boys (or maybe girls in general are). I'd say that she in fact is the latter. She has a very good sense of balance, will climb the highest and farthest AND be able to get herself back down with nary an injury. That isn't to say that she doesn't have her bumps, scrapes and bruises, but she definitely has good sense of her body and where to take it.

Monkey, he is actually pretty sure footed too but he also is more cautious. His injuries are actually a bit different. One was inflicted by his sister (entirely by accident). My parents took the kids out to dinner and his finger was accidentally closed in the car door. I hear that it wasn't a pretty sight from both the finger and the ensuing emotional recovery. Thank goodness it wasn't on my watch. The finger is fine but does look 'ick' (a second application was required). His other band aid injury was a pogo stick fall. I'm imagining a few more of those if he keeps up his zeal for the sport.

Finally, my nephew. The camping trip was the culprit of his injuries. I think he was a little out of his element OR maybe 9 year old boys go through an accident prone stage. He not only got 3 band aids on our trip, he also banged himself up many times. The boy shed zero tears though (Monkey takes the cake on that). By the end of the trip he had a 'thorn in his ear' which required a band aid (see ear in picture), a mosquito bite that bled (there are few if none in our area), and a pretty nice scraped knee from a scooter fall. I told him that I think he should shoot for 5 band aids, but never followed through. He was a tiny bit worried that his parents might be upset for all of his injuries. I said, if you came back with NO INJURIES that your parents might think you were inside all day watching TV. I hope in fact that is the sentiment of his parents because I have 6 days left to keep him injury free and I don't know if that is possible.

As the saying goes..."Its all fun and games". We are soon out for another day of fun and frolic. We are heading into the big city by bus today, so I don't believe there will be any serious injuries unless someone decides to fall down the 100+ stairs we have to climb down to get to the waterfront...if that does happen, I'm thinking band aids won't suffice....happy thoughts, happy thoughts...fun day ahead.

No comments: