Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Out of the mouths of babes

Yesterday I had the pleasure of riding the bus with 60 first graders on a field trip. The only open seat was with these two "edible" little boys and luckily they looked excited for me to sit with them (that will change soon enough). We had all kinds of fun conversations especially about cars, police officers, and police officers fighting off dinosaurs. Then I made the mistake of saying something like..."20 years ago I...". The boys look up at me with inquisitive looks:

Boy 1: "How old are you?"

Me: "40"

Boy 1: "That means that was 20 years ago".

Me: "Yes...you're good at math"

Boy 2: "You're OLD"

Me: (hold my tongue)

Boy 2: "That means you're going to die soon"

Me: (you little snot is what I thought...but I said...) "That might not be true because I COULD live to 100 and that would mean I have 60 more years to live"

Boy 1: "That is if you don't die from something like an accident"

Me: "Can we change the subject?"



No comments: