Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Shhh...test in progress

Today from 9-11am I am BUSY. I will be taking my written exam for my coaching certificate. I spent yesterday poking around in my books, notes and on our student website for general memory joggers. The test is 2 hours and it is open book so it felt silly to really "study" as one would do for college exams. This weekend at the retreat everyone who had taken the test said...you'll do fine, don't worry. I think they were sending a hint that it is very straightforward without actually saying it...but what if they just assume everyone passes because THEY did? And what if I'm that one test taker who isn't so keen and really tanks on a 2 hour, open-book, straightforward test? You've just witnessed one of my recent moments and as a coach I have tools to talk myself off the ledge of despair...its called the work. So, I could use my thought...I'm not a good test taker and run it through the process...
I'm not a good test taker.

Is that true? No

What happens when you believe the thought, I'm not a good test taker? My heart races and I feel anxious and 'graspy'.

Who would you be without that thought? Confident, my chest opens up, my face softens, my brain feels 'more clear'.


Now I ask myself to turn the thought around. I AM a good test taker. And then I look for evidence of where that is true....DUH...I graduated Cum Laud in undergrad and got a 4.0 in grad school...which argues not only did I do well on tests, I tested just fine to get into the establishments in the first place. This process provided me relief...it went into my mind and body to access how this thought is 'showing up' and it forced me to see it from another perspective that may be True OR Truer. This is one way to 'dissolve' negative thoughts or beliefs. It can help with just about any thought that isn't serving you well ...and is most powerful with the big thoughts. One time I used it for a cluster of thoughts I had about...My brother should not go to war. Surprisingly, it did provide relief. It forces you to realize that it is 'just a thought' and that it isn't reality and that every time you argue with reality, you lose..full stop.

This is a life long tool because 'you're never done'. You'll more than likely come across many thoughts and beliefs that are stressful and each time, this tool can provide relief. I like to mix it up a bit (with other tools) just to keep myself "guessing" (and my clients too). I also think some thoughts (like my test taking one) can use a simpler technique called Self Coaching. Here's how it goes...

Circumstance: I have a test today (this always stays the same...its a fact)

Thoughts: I am a bad test taker

Emotions: anxious, low confidence, heart racing

Actions: avoid studying, beat myself up, drink champagne while studying

Results: Feel unsure that I'm prepared.


NOW...what would be a better feeling thought to 'plug in'.


Thoughts: I am as prepared as I can be for this test

Emotions: calm, content, a sense of 'knowing'

Actions: Collect all my books, papers and websites and have them 'at the ready' for my test

Results: I feel relaxed and 'prepared' for the test

So in the time that I wrote this post, I not only took my mind off of the actual test I'm taking AND I built confidence that I actually know what I'm talking about. AWESOME. Now...shhhhh...I need to concentrate!


1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Good Luck! I am sure you will ace it.