Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pomp and Circumstance

Today is the day that we celebrate my mom's graduation from an over 28 year career in the Federal Government 20 of which was spent at the same agency, Health and Human Services. Nowadays, who can say that they've worked somewhere for 20 years? I admire her commitment to the agency and to her work there. The area where she works is focused on granting funding to small community units that focused on the "under served" people of the US. Not only did she love the technical side of the work she did, but she also had a sense of a higher purpose in her daily activities. It made the late night calls, weekend work and bureaucratic BS somehow worthwhile. Why do I know all this? Because last night I worked with her on some words to say at her retirement party. I think she is leaving the bureaucratic BS part out.

So as she transitions into this phase of her life she has those feelings that I'm sure most newly minted retirees have. What is my purpose now? How will I spend my time? How will I fit into the world now? To which I say to her, enjoy the ride. Take time to notice what makes YOU tick? Reconnect with yourself and find that sweet spot which marries both the graceful acts of doing "nothing" and being active and knowing when you've "had enough" of each. Here are words I think of when I think of a graceful retirement

  1. relax
  2. connect
  3. passion
  4. travel
  5. stillness
  6. write
  7. paint
  8. play
  9. love
  10. read
  11. learn
  12. sleep
  13. serve
  14. enjoy
  15. walk
  16. observe
  17. reflect
  18. witness
  19. vedge
  20. LIVE
I raise my glass to my mother and thank her for her service to our country as both a Navy wife (which is undoubtedly a difficult job) and a civil servant. She has inspired me (as a mother) to take action toward my passion and to find that balance of working, and being a support to my family. I wish you all the words I wrote above and a few more...be brave and bold in finding what brings you joy in your retirement, you deserve the best!

No comments: