Saturday, September 19, 2009

burn baby burn

Recently I've been told about an American Indian tradition of lighting a green candle for prosperity on days that have an 8 in them . I don't know much about the ritual and if there is a 'right way' to do this, but I see on Facebook a few of my friends saying they've lit their green candle (on the "8" days of course). So I've decided 'what the heck' it can't hurt.

The first time I was made aware, I didn't have a green candle and somehow going out and getting one didn't make it on my list. The second time, I again didn't have a green candle but realized we had some birthday candles that might have green...and we did. So my husband and I lit tiny green (and white) birthday candles that we pushed into a piece of bread so they'd stay upright. I also 'made up' a wish for prosperity for ourselves and others.

Fast forward to last night...again, no green candle AND NOW no green birthday candles. So...creative person that I am, I got out some food coloring and a tea light and a glass candle holder "thingy' and simulated tea light with green in it (ish). I'm just laughing at myself at how I'm trying to make this work not really sure it does work and being super creative (NOT) about it. I now may have permanent green dye stains on my hands to boot. So, today I was at Ben Franklin and I BOUGHT SOME GREEN CANDLES. The funny thing is that they were on sale...so does that make my whole system only work at 50% (because they were half off)?

So does this really work? I'm not sure I'll ever really know BUT, at the end of the day, it provides me time on a fairly regular basis to sit with my husband in the glow of the candle wishing good things for us and the world...and if it truly does bring money and abundant opportunities into my life...BRING IT ON!

No comments: