Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Do you have to?

Scene - Me driving the kids to orthodontist appoint.

Me a little frazzled because my son left his retainer at school so I had to make an unplanned stop and was late for the appointment.

Daughter: Mommy, is Santa real?

Me: (in my head...Bummer, here is the moment I've been dreading AND DID YOU HAVE TO ASK WHILE YOUR YOUNGER BROTHER WAS HERE).

Son: Yeah Mom? Do you and Daddy buy the presents for us?

Me: What do you guys think?
Daughter: I don't know that is why I'm asking YOU!

Me: I believe in Santa.

Kids: Yes, but is he REAL?

Me: I can't focus on this conversation right now, the street has too many curves and there are too many cars, we'll talk about this later!!!!

Later I asked my husband if I should come clean with the kids and he said...nah! Wait until they bring it up again.

My friend Jill has a policy at her house...If you don't believe you don't receive! I didn't know how to gracefully work that into the conversation. I'd love advice...knew it was coming with my 4th grader, wished my 2nd grader could come to this on his own accord.

Now I'm waiting for the next question to pop up while I'm driving....Mommy, where do babies come from? GULP

1 comment:

Catherine said...

That's exactly what my mom told me when I asked her the question "those who don't believe don't receive". I was old enough to understand what that meant, yet young enough to still want to receive...I never asked again :)