Thursday, September 3, 2009

Game Night

Thanks to a Target advertisement my kids want to have game nights on Wednesdays. Even though I believe that my daughter is smarter than this...I think she thinks its like a National Day of Play. She announced that we "had to have game night on Wednesday nights" right after seeing the ad. So as part of her bribe for OPERATION TIMESTABLES, I said I'd buy a new game on WEDNESDAY (if she learned them before school started). She stuck with it and has it down 99% of the time. There are a few that still trip her up...but she essentially has them right. We are now the proud owners of "The Game of LIFE".

We played last night (Wednesday) and I forgot how fun it is. I love that there is very little strategy involved. There are board games that make me physically ill and I believe it is from the childhood trauma I experienced when my brainiac brothers would play Risk and Monopoly AND DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS (I had to do that in all caps because I just outed my brothers with their 'geek' factor). Anyway, being 4 years younger and much less wise (in a book smart way of course) I only witnessed this playing (ad nauseam) and I knew that it was an "outsmart outlast" kind of experience and that isn't me...NOT AT ALL.

So far we are one Wednesday into our new tradition. I have to say our family isn't very consistent with 'traditions' but if this one sticks...it is well worth it. That is a memory I'd love for my children to speak of when they're older...maybe it will erase the mean-crazy-lady-mommy experiences they had by the end of this summer.

No comments: