Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Chief?

Some may already know this story, but I'll tell it anyway...so there! I thought I'd give the history of my nickname Chief. In my Junior year of college, I was feeling sorry for myself because my name did not lend itself to a nickname and LUCKILY, I hadn't done anything to earn a bad nickname. I had many friends with some great nicknames such as Verde, Amis, Jules, Kush, Lizard, Dougie Fresh, Big Dan, Sammy, Flock of Seagulls (my friend Ted could come up with some great bedhead that looked just like the band's hair) and on and on. My boyfriend at the time decided to solve the problem and took it upon himself to call me Chief Nocohomie (I'm guessing at the spelling). I've not researched whether there is a real Indian Chief with that name and I'm now wondering if it could have been an 'insider' joke with his buddies...but luckily the name was shortened to Chief. Chief stuck with all of my closest pals from school. To this day, they exclusively refer to me by that name. In fact, my "matron" of honor said a wedding speech with my real name and it felt wrong and out of place. Nowadays when I get an unexpected call from a friend and they say "Hey Chief", I get a flood of warm, happy, and safe feelings. It instantly brings me right to that time when life was much less complicated (eventhough we thought it WAS complicated back then). It is a virtual 'hug' when my friends call and announce my name. Thanks ladies for just being YOU.

No comments: