Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wapner's on at Seven (ala Rain Man)

I don't know if I can describe my comical shopping experience as well as it felt, but here goes. I had the "honor" of grocery shopping with my in laws yesterday and I truly felt as if I was living a sitcom episode. My first clue that this was going to be an 'experience' is when they picked up the circular with all of the sale items in the store. They both made the announcement that "we never buy anything that isn't on sale"...."oh boy, here we go" is what I thought. So, I willy nilly pick up some bananas and they announce "those are on sale". Then I went to pick up something else..."those are not on sale". Then we had the conundrum of whether buying bulk mushrooms or the 2 for one packages would be a better deal, they analyzed the unit prices and determined that the packages were the better deal. This is how the shopping 'experience' ran the whole time we were there. I decided to 'shorten' my list of 'must haves' so as not to have to do too many 'analyses'. I went to buy some 'whipped' butter (which I find is easier to spread when I'm rushing through my morning breakfast for the kids)...well father-in-law (FIL) did a tisk tisk and said that the stick butter is a better deal and that I should buy that...I conceded in order to respect my elders. By the end of the shopping spree, we had to guess how much we were saving, FIL said $38, MIL said $22 and I just randomly guessed $20. The final savings was $40 dollars which my FIL said he would have been exactly right if I hadn't run to pick up the last few items that were not on the list....oh boy. I was feeling all rebellious and said I'd be back and went to get some candy intending to pick something FULL price, but then I chose the one on sale, they must have rubbed off on me. It was a comical experience and we ALL had a laugh at their expense. I was granted permission to post this blog. Note to self, no more grocery shopping with the in laws.

No comments: