Monday, May 26, 2008

True Meaning


Today is the day that people gather together over BBQs to officially kick off the summer. It is a day off, a day of relaxation and 'do whatever you want'. It is a day for big sales too. Well, the day's true meaning has been watered down. In fact, I had to look it up to get the true meaning. So, I'll share it with you.

According to http://www.usmemorialday.org/, it is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. It was officially proclaimed in May of 1868 by General John Logan, commander of the Grand Army of the Republic and first observed on the 30th of the month.

So, still enjoy the day, but take some time to either remember a lost soldier or give thanks for what that loss means to our freedom as a nation. Even though the current 'state of affairs' are arguably 'sticky' in terms of who, what, why, where of the wars we are in, it doesn't mean we shouldn't respect and honor those who have served and specifically those who have died. I know that I am touched by many people who have served in our armed forces and I know for certain that each has lost either a friend, colleague, parent or has somehow experienced loss first hand in the service. So, I give a virtual hug and shout out to those families and friends who are remembering. And I'll do my own remembering as well.

“Four things support the world: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the good, and the valor of the brave”
Muhammad quotes

No comments: