Wednesday, May 7, 2008

He made my day!










I got a phone call from my brother yesterday and it made my day- even my week! He is a Navy Commander (who usually floats on boats) kicking sand in Afghanistan playing Army (which is referred to as NARMY). This is all wrong in my opinion...but it is what it is. He is doing a stellar job out there (which I would expect no less from him) and he is making the best of it. His family is doing the same back home (I think a metal of honor in these situations should go to BOTH the family keeping it together at home and the soldier serving his/her country abroad). Instead of leading the troops (he is front and center in the picture on top) he should be leading the beachweek games (picture on bottom)...I'll call George W. to demand a recall for this important matter.

If I have to find the silver lining in this situation, I'd say that I've never been closer with my brother and I am so enjoying this (irony that there is so much literal distance involved). I've never talked, written, emailed than I have these past 6 months (I made 2 extra trips home to see him off). I've been a bit obsessed sending packages and letters (probably still not enough to make up for his solitary-feeling experience I'm sure). By the way, how many parenthetical statements can one make in an entry...I might submit this one to be considered for the record.

So, when things are feeling rotten in your everyday life, think of the families who are dealing with 'this situation' and that can provide some perspective (or not). If anyone reading this would like to know how to send letters or packages, please leave a comment and I'll contact you directly.

No comments: