Monday, October 6, 2008

An adventure gone awry

Yesterday we decided to have a little adventure and that is what we had. We took the kids to a fun park in the city. They played, we played and then we took a nice meander through some gardens. It was all good, the kids loved it and I took some pictures (which I haven't done in ages). We had intended to find another adventure spot, but we had a tiny problem (actually not so tiny and possibly very expensive). My husband's 1999 Pathfinder is deciding it wants to get all hot and heavy on us. The car was driving funny AND the heat gage was at its highest (usually I believe is should be happily in the middle of the H and the C...I'm no mechanic though). So we decided to scrap the other adventure but had a dilemma, how do we get home? We had to decide to leave the car and find a ride and a tow home (by the way, neither of us had our cell phones with us!) or risk the 20 minutes home which included a stint on a bridge over water. What we decided to do was to drive (with the heater blasting because the handy owner's manual says so) and stop and drive and stop. My husband also stopped to get some liquid to put in it (I've not a clue what it was OR if he put it in the right place). So we made it home...Whew! My son was unphased by the scenario, my daughter was a little nervous (mainly because we told both of them to stop asking questions and be quiet "because Daddy needs to focus on getting us home").

The lesson I took from this is that my husband and I were concerned about 2 different things. He was concerned about the hassle of possibly getting stuck somewhere (especially on the bridge) and how we would get home..yadda, yadda, yadda. I found that those details, while inconvenient were not horrible, we'd take care of it somehow and all would be good eventually...no sweat just a bummer. I, on the other hand, was concerned about being engulfed in flames as our car blows up...I've seen that happen on the streets before and I was trying not to focus on that visual...because I had a tiny (well not so tiny) fear that it would be us experiencing THAT. In the end all is good and the kids got a treat at the gas station as a bonus.

Now added to my day/week is the task of trying to get said car to a fixer place, and get home (via bike), and get my daughter to the Ortho, and get my son to soccer all with one car that is currently at my husband's work (because he needs a car too). Again, all will be fine and the only thing is a little hassle....but...it could be a lot worse....we could have been engulfed in flames, we could not have had a second car, we could not have a bike for me to get home, we could NOT have been able to afford to actually fix the car, I could not have had a caring husband....the point is, I have a great life and I am continually grateful for that...so this is just a tiny gnat in the big scheme of things...I just need to swat it away and then smoosh it, then it is over and I am happy!

No comments: