Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stock Rises

Here is my father's response to yesterday's post:

Date: November 1970
Place: Monterey, CA County Airport
Event: Watching aircraft takeoff and land
Participants: 29 year old Naval Aviator, one 6 year old, and one 5 year old
Query: "Were you ever in the cockpit for takeoff?"
Initial Response: What did you think my job was on the airplane?
Come Back: You got the coffee for the pilots


I'm sure my father's stock (figurative) went WAY up (not like today's literal stocks) when he told my brothers that in fact HE flew the planes and someone else got him coffee. I'm sure their response was WOW versus Monkey's confused "oh" about my husband's job.
The fact that my father was a pilot is somewhat of a comical joke in MY personal life. I have this irrational fear of flying and my dad flew planes. He can sit and tell me the reason for every tip, turn, bing, bang and swoosh and I still am not convinced that the plane will stay in the air. How's that for irony (sort of).
As for irony: My husband is a stickler with the word irony. He is very literal about it. Somethings are unfortunate while others are true irony. The fact that it rained during my bike ride some might say is irony, nope...its unfortunate. Here is an example of irony I just found on the www.

The government decided to build a wall or fence so illegal immigrants would not cross to the country. Well, who is building the fence? illegal immigrants!

No comments: