Friday, November 7, 2008

In Awe

Last night we had a bake sale at the school. As with every other bake sale, we had tons of left overs. We usually take some for ourselves, put some in the staff lounge and then we take some to the Fire Department. I volunteered for the Fire Department drop off for many reasons a) I'd rather do that than count the money b) it was on my way home c) what woman doesn't like a man in uniform (my family had a few uniformed Navy men so I'm partial)? d) the kids would get a kick out of it.

Well, let me tell you, we got the whole department to answer the door and they all were incredibly grateful for the snacks and gracious enough to give my kids a personal tour of the station. It was one of the neatest moments for the kids. They couldn't stop talking on the car ride home. The memory of this experience for me is the picture of my son's face looking up with awe at the truck with the lights flashing and the fire fighters speaking.
I left there feeling grateful to those gentlemen who happened to have had a very busy day with the awful weather we are having. They kept saying that they expected more calls through the evening. They definitely are heroes that willingly do their jobs to save lives and I am grateful to them. I will certainly give more money when they Pass the Boot AND I'm going to have the kids write a thank you to them....they were so kind to spend the time with us last night (and oh by the way, they didn't look too bad in their uniforms).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the nice comments! It was nice to meet you guys and have you hang out a while. thank you also for the baked goods! you've got some pretty cool kids - swing by anytime.