Thursday, November 20, 2008

Piano pros and cons

The story goes that my parents had bought a piano for me to have when we lived in Iceland that was to be mine when I left the house for good. Well, said piano was too big and cumbersome for my efficiency apartment in Wisconsin in grad school, my rental in Mississippi, my 1 bedroom I rented from a friend in DC, my 3 flats in London, my tiny apartment in San Francisco....you get the picture, I didn't really have a need for a piano until I had kids and started buying houses with my husband (houses not as in many at one time, but many because we don't sit still). Well, the elusive piano got tricky because my husband didn't really see the value in adding a clunky piece of furniture to our home that he did not believe it would be played or be useful through our lives....so the piano never made it to our house and it now has a lovely spot in my brother's guest room (because he DID want it in his house). As we made our big hop across the country to Washington state I believed that any hopes of having a piano in my home was lost.

I just happened to tell my friend's mother my story about my piano and how I would still love a piano but husband -notsomuch. Well, my friend's mother "does" estate sales and the very next day she called me with the news that she had found a good condition piano for $150. It so happened that my husband was out of town and I got a wild hair and bought the piano site unseen and without the 'nod' from my husband. This was the first time I had ever done such a thing....buying something significant like this, without a discussion, while also knowing that we weren't in complete agreement....it felt GOOD!

Our piano is now tucked in our dining room, not exactly fitting but 'who cares'. My daughter takes to the piano famously, loves her lessons and has blown through one book and is onto another.

I am now in the spot that my parent's were circa 1986 when I was trying to learn Fur Elise and played the intro OVER, and OVER, and OVER. Now I'm feeling the same sort of love hate thing with my daughter's music because she either gets stuck and tries and tries again OR she plays her favorite song every day, many times a day, all week long. The new issue is that her book right now is....you can guess.... Christmas songs. I'm already tired of Jingle Bells and Joy to the World...what am I going to do for the next month and a half? Between the holiday music at the stores and the piano music at home, I might show my Grinchy side at times!

No comments: