Monday, November 24, 2008

Touchstone Moments

This weekend I shared several lovely moments with my children (albeit when I wasn't feeling well).

Saturday 9am: Marathon Monopoly Junior game with Princess. We had lost the money for the game so we got creative. I now realize that my daughter is a hoarder when it comes to money (a good quality to have for the state of the world today), but also generous when she sees others who are less fortunate (she donated many dollars to me to keep me in the game).

Saturday 1pm: Monkey and I went on a 2 mile walk. Along the way we sprinted, we stopped to look at berries, plants, strange trees and other natural wonders AND we sang 100 bottles of beer on the wall...(I tried to go with 100 bottles of Coke but he knew the real lyrics and wanted to stick with that). The connections we made during that time just warms my heart.

Sunday 2:30pm: Princess, Monkey and I went for a 3 mile hike that involved some rock climbing, trailblazing and imagination. Princess got very involved in a wonderful imaginary world where there was a troll under a bridge, where we had to make ourselves invisible if we saw humans and where we were living in Leaf World. Sometimes I forget that she is just a child and that she likes to play...she seems so mature most of the time and it is hard to tell.

Based on the success of our weekend adventures, I now want more. When my husband and I were driving home from our evening at the Symphony (another touchstone moment) we both were gushing about how great our kids are and that we need to really focus on this time of 'greatness' because we suspect in the teen years, our moments will be few and fleeting....hopefully I am wrong!

No comments: