Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An old comfy sweater

That is what I think of when I meet up with an old friend (not in age but in years of knowing). Last night my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful evening with a friend we had met in 1996 in London. We've remained in contact (and have actually lived in similar locations) through the years. Our relationship is an interesting one where we actually didn't spend a ton of time together (even in London) but it was a true, deep caring relationship. The kind you can just 'feel' is a genuine one. Last night when Jim gave me my hello hug, it felt like I was putting that sweater on and for the few hours we shared together, it was warm and cozy. We shared news, old stories, laughs and disappointments all in a matter of 5 hours. There was not a dull moment, or lull in conversation. It could be a number years until I see Jim (and his wife hopefully) again but it will feel as if not a moment has passed. Don't you love those friendships? They just feel so right...just like that sweater does!

No comments: