Friday, April 24, 2009

Thank you mam.....






...mogram



I am 40. 40 year old women get mammograms. I had mine yesterday. My friends said it would be painful...it wasn't. Uncomfortable...but not painful. I actually thank my lucky stars that I actually have some sizable mammaries because those who don't, have to flatten 'nothing' and that must be really hard. I had a lot to flatten. I avoided looking at my flattened boob for many reasons...one I was scared of what it would look like; two I wasn't sure if looking at the place where the boob was being ex-rayed might 'burn my eyes out' and three I was supposed to stay still. So, I still wonder what a mashed down boob looks like, but probably can live without the image etched in my brain.
Here is the trickier part for me: I went into the exam with the knowledge that it was necessary and most likely there is nothing wrong...buuuuut....I had a cyst in my left breast in my twenties that was always 'one to watch'. Nothing came up since then....but I mentioned it and the technician ended our meeting with that unfortunate message....you'll probably get brought back in for more extensive testing. Then she said...because of that cyst you talked about. What my mind decided to do is make up an even bigger story...she told me it was because of the cyst I mentioned but MAYBE she saw something curious and knew that they would call me back because of it...that is the story that my mind likes better because then it can get me to think all kinds of crazy things....which in reality are PROBABLY NOT true. So...now I wait and mentally push my thoughts about it to the 'back of the bus' until I know for sure what the real scenario is.

So, there you go...My boobs were mooshed yesterday, and my mind is playing games today. How is that for fun?

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I got called in when I had my first one done. It was a scary moment, they did an ultrasound and confirmed right there that it was nothing. Stay positive even if you get called in. All will be fine.