Monday, April 20, 2009

Whole

Best thing in the whole wide world is hugs from your kids when you've returned home from a trip. I have a minuscule glimpse of what it must have felt like for my brother to return from a year away from his family in Afghanistan...it really doesn't come close...but it is on the same spectrum. This morning my son got a glimpse of me and stopped for a moment and I could see his mind was saying "what is different about this situation" and realizing that I had been gone and now I'm back. When kids are older (like mine) they 'get it' but it still feels nice to have things 'back where they were'. We're whole again...and that feels good.

1 comment:

Paris said...

LoLo: I always watch the vids of returning soldier's surprising their kids at school. I had a similar experience on my mid-tour leave. I picked Jack up early from school. He saw me, recognized me but literally rubbed his eyes in surprise. I asked him what he was thinking and he responded that he thought he was "dreaming." One of the happiest days in my life.

Welcome home from funfest Austin style. See you soon.

Paris