Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How the hair are you?

My son needed a haircut so we wandered into my local 'chop shop' and we did our usual #4 on the sides and scissors on the top. My daughter (who hadn't had her hair cut since our unmentionable lice incident) decided she needed to fancy up her style. She asked for layers and a shorter (but not too short) bang. She knew exactly what she wanted. Even when the hairdresser asked if her bangs were short enough, my daughter asked for more. As an adult, I don't have the confidence to ever say....well could you 'this and that' a little more with my hair. I usually take what I get and have probably NEVER spoken up about wanting it a little different. My daughter and I are different that way....she knows and I am not sure.

Speaking of hair. To date, I've allowed my daughter to dictate the style and length of her hair. This stems from a long held issue with my childhood haircuts. As a 'single digit' child I remember having a pixie haircut. I can't remember exactly NOT liking it but I do get a feeling I didn't. Also, I was once mistaken for a boy EVEN WHEN I WAS WEARING GIRLIE CLOTHES...ouch. Then, there was the time that my mother cut my hair herself and I believe "got bored" because in my school picture there is a visible difference between my left and right side of my head...I looked a peach. My 4th grade picture is truly magical; I decided to go to bed with curlers in my hair curling all of the ends of my hair under. The result was a mushroom look...stunning. I started to gain back control in middle school with the everso stylish middle part (butt head as some would call it). I also plastered my hair back symmetrically on both sides (no bangs) with barrettes with ribbons hanging down...a real looker, I was. Oh boy then it started to be the Farrah era where I meticulously curled my sides to flip 'just so' on each side (continuing the butt head). The hairspray I used to secure said flip could sustain high winds BUT if the wind was at a certain angle, it would take a huge portion of sprayed bits and blow back "as a unit"...I'm not certain but I think there was some aerodynamic lessons to be learned there that Boeing could use. Then lets move into the PERM PHASE...oh boy...what is there to say about it...WHAT WAS I THINKING?And the accompanying bangs that had to be teased 'just so high, no more, no less and secured with a can of hairspray". I am imagining that the wall in my bathroom would remain intact (with the rest crumbling down) in an earthquake.


I was and am blessed with some pretty good hair, it is blond naturally, it is fairly straight and can hold any hair style with ease...so, why didn't anyone tell me to "go natural"....I finally reached this "knowing" as an adult...oh but wait...there was the graduate school hairstyle of the "long as all get out" style. I never was convinced my hair was long enough and was certain that it 'didn't grow'. What planet was I on...it was crazy long. Luckily long hair has always been considered 'attractive' so that my husband didn't know any better and still 'fancied me'. He did think I was more 'granola' than I really was due to the outfits I wore and my hair length when he first met me. Wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of mirror in your life that gives you the REAL image of how you come across versus the filters we create that make us see ourselves in a slightly different light...for example...mile high bangs...PLEASE, somebody give a girl some perspective!
PS: this picture is from a dress up party a few years ago where we were supposed to go 'white trash'....I was so proud that I was able to achieve the side feathers...I still had the touch. I'm awesome.

No comments: