Friday, September 19, 2008

Eeyore I love you


Tap, tap, tap.....Hello internet?...are you still there?

I have tried for 2 days to get into my account and somehow it didn't work. It took me two days and one husband to figure out that I just needed to turn the bleeping computer off and reboot. I don't think Microsoft will be calling me for that interview!

Anyhoo, the most important day I wanted to blog has come and gone, but I'll still do my bit now. My brother Eeyore had a birthday this Wednesday in a far off land, doing God knows what to protect our rights as Americans. Since I wasn't able to do my shout out to him via this vehicle, I used another...email inbox overload. My intention was for him to check his email and see a gazillion messages for him (not from me but people who know him (or of him through me)). I hope it worked.
Anyway, my story about Eeyore (and he knows that this is a term of endearment not of mal intent) is that he and I weren't the best of friends as kids. We weren't evil, we just kind of weren't. I DO have great memories of him in my childhood and such, but the 4 years difference in age and the fact that I took his spotlight as the youngest child made it difficult. Imagine having a new baby thrown into your position AND have that baby be the ONLY girl when you are 4. Now as adults I find that the tide has turned in the exact opposite direction. We do see eye-to-eye (and where we don't we just skip those topics entirely). I enjoy his company (and I think he, mine). I respect him immensely and I consider him a true-deep-to-your-core kind of friend. About once a year, the two of us sit down and have a long, long talk solving the world's problems (usually into the wee hours of the morning) and that is our 'check in' to make sure all is well (or at least manageable). Since he has taken on this challenge of going to War, I've even spent more time in that capacity (but not in person). It has been a wonderful addition even though ironically it involved a subtraction (ie he had to leave). With all this being said....I have a little bone to pick with my brother. You see, when I was little, he'd have me do things for him (like his chores, or running to get something for him, or just to torture me) with the promise of a diamond ring. Now 35 year later and I still don't have that ring.....I'm waitiiiiiiiiing. I love you Eeyore...air hug and air kiss (3 days late).

No comments: