Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Watch out world

Tao (pronounced Dao) - Is an Asian philosophy which basically believes that we are born perfect and then life makes us imperfect. In contrast, Western philosophies dictate that we are born imperfect and we must work toward perfection. Tao is translated as "the way". This is my best description from my notes from my AWESOME class (on the phone) with Martha Beck. She is great about weaving all sorts of philosophies, religions, research, and basic tools to make the act of coaching seem actually Do-able as well as effective. So, she says the key to being an effective coach is with a T.A.O. philosophy...T - Transparent (no hidden agendas), A- Authentic (don't say or do anything you'd not do yourself), O- Open (no secrecy or 'closed books')....if we follow this approach in helping others and in our own everyday lives, we can actually help others and ourselves live 'happier lives'. I like this...I'm probably 80% doing it already, I'm working on the 20% and just so you know...you may be the recipient of this TAO and I hope it feels good! Ohhhhhhmmmmmm.

No comments: