Monday, September 22, 2008

LOL

I like movies. Some movies my husband would not like to see. Soooo, as a gift to myself, I've formed the LOL club. This club's mission is to meet once a month during school hours to see a flick that would not interest our husbands. The name LOL stands for Ladies of Leisure who Laugh out Loud.



The genesis of this club is as follows. I went to the movies in April with my friend to see Juno and felt a little naughty about it - I felt that since I don't have a "real job" I shouldn't be doing this kind of thing while everyone else is beavering away at work or school. Almost everyone in my life (to the person) made me feel the exact opposite. They said, "You SHOULD treat yourself. You work hard, you are a busy mother and you should make time for yourself". I still felt guilty but really enjoyed those moments in the theater watching "art". So, in September, I decided that in this new school year, I would treat myself once a month to a chick flick and NOT feel guilty about it. My one dilemma was how to get others in on my plan so I don't have to go to the movies alone. So, I emailed all my other friends in my same position and made a global invite. The movie and time was decided on by consensus for this month and the same will be done for subsequent months. I am the President of LOL and, at the end of the day, I will drive the time and agenda if people cannot agree....but I'm certain that I will not have to exercise my veto power due to the people with whom I 'hang'. So, Tuesday at 12pm, I will be seeing Burn After Reading with my LOL club members...wanna join me?

ps I think my husband WOULD like to see this movie so either I'll be going again to watch Brad Pitt and George Clooney OR we'll watch it on video...and I'm ok with that.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

What a great idea! Sometimes I wish Jake was in full time pre-K. I will have to remember this idea for next year, in case I don't go back to work! LOL! Have fun.