Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fallow in January

It seems that every January I get a little more introspective, slower to get out of the house, less energized...read "in a slump". I can already feel it coming on and I am hoping to both 'lean into it' as well as work through it this year. Last year it 'happened to me' instead of 'through me'. The positive of it was that I was so ready to be done with it that I ended up doing some amazing things..this blog, reading tons of books related to self help, finding Michele Woodward, who got me connected with Martha Beck, who got me on a path that I am excited to go down....so Fallow is often good, it helps one to replenish the soul; as in farming it replenishes the soil.

The way I know I'm in or moving toward a slump (or lets call it more healthy term...Fallow time) is that I tend to just willow away the day with no big plans, no goals, and if I don't make my goals I feel apathetic and or beat myself up. Although I did stuff yesterday that was productive, I felt equally undproductive and it was mostly my thoughts (correction...all of it was due to my thoughts). Today I have plans early in the day that will get me out. I am going to work out, have a meeting, go grocery shopping and so forth and so on...so I believe this activity will be good. I also find that in my Fallow time I read a lot....for some reason I am equating that with being 'lazy' but I am changing that tune now....reading for me is actually active, my brain is working, new ideas are forming, old ideas are solidifying and really old (archaic and wrong) ideas are washing away. So...reading=GOOD not reading=LAZY. Having said that, I believe that if my husband comes home to a very messy house, wife still in jammies, kids fending for themselves for a whole month...hmmmm that might be too far....OR NOT?

No comments: