Thursday, January 15, 2009

Visions of the teen years

This morning my daughter was just not interested in being happy with ANYTHING. I decided to just go with the flow, be supportive, not get worked up etc. It was hard to not turn around and say "Why are you being so Bitchy". I didn't...I did at the last moment before she left for the bus say "Darling, I have been nothing but kind to you this morning and I wish you'd treat me a little nicer"...her response was to turn and walk away...nice! I must note that when I "shut" the door, it was with a little more force than normal. I followed my kids to the bus (as I do) and said a lovely have a nice day to them. Daughter never turned around (of course it could be that she didn't hear me). I have to say that I look on this interaction with fascination and not tension. In the past, I would have been tense and grumpy back. It still has a bit of an impact on me (or else I wouldn't be writing about it). I take it personally when someone isn't happy, but I have to learn to respect myself to know that I cannot make anyone happy, they have to chose to be happy. As a parent, I'm sure I have a little more influence than with adults (maybe, maybe not), but at the end of the day, I cannot physically turn my daughter's frown upside down. I plan to have a download with her this evening and ask her if there is something bothering her and see if I can provide some support to her, but that is all I can do....right? Anyway...if she is just in her 9th year, I'm quite interested in what 13 will be like! Fascinating!

No comments: