Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I vote for fun

This past week, my children have surprised me. They actually have been playing with their toys. For some reason, in my view, they don't play with their toys that much and I have had thoughts of sweeping through their rooms and getting rid of a lot of the 'junk'. Well, this week, they must have sensed this desire because they are playing with all kinds of stuff...legos, barbies, polly pockets, dinosaurs....to name a few. This warms my heart to think that they actually still are little kids with imaginations....I was wondering. By the end of last night, my kids were acting like dogs and decided to have a dog camp. They got their sleeping bags out, and set up camp. It was a school night, but I let them sleep on the floor in their sleeping bags...I say 'screw the rules and enjoy life'.

This morning my daughter joined me in bed for a moment and she brought her sleeping bag. She did something that immediately brought sweat to my pits (pips as my niece used to call them) and shallow breathing. She went head first into her bag. What kid doesn't do that? I didn't. It was terrifying for me to ever have my head covered where I couldn't breath in pure air. I would panic and believe that I couldn't get out in time. I'm sure I would have those same thoughts if I tried it to day. It was fascinating to watch my body react so intensely. I was tempted to ask her to stop...but that is NO FUN for her. So I suffered through and she finally came out with the biggest grin on her face. It was worth my personal struggle to see that face.

Here is what I vow...to say yes more often even when it may not be 'wise' on a school night! This age of my children is fleeting and life should be fun! As my dad has often said: "Are we having fun yet?"

No comments: